Tuesday, January 27, 2009

As if I already didn't hate driving

Today started with a clog in the kitchen sink and a snow covered ground. I was somewhat excited about the latter and irritated about the former. After my horrible drive to school, the disgusting mess that came up as a result of plunging the kitchen sink didn't seem so bad. In comparison anyway.
The drive didn't start out too bad, the snow was light and dusty so I thought it would be no big deal. Even so, I left a half an hour earlier than I normally would have, just in case. My biggest mistake was getting on I-5 and subsequently, trying to take the Fremont Bridge into northwest. I had my dogs in the car because I was going to drop them off at my work while I was in class in the morning since I have to go back there this afternoon and work a reception shift. Semitrucks and other ill prepared vehicles, or maybe ill prepared drivers, were sliding all over the place. My beastly subuaru of course was fine, but I started to panic a little on the incline of the Fremont Bridge on ramp, a steep, narrow two-lane curve that freaks me out on a warm, sunny day but when the wind is raging and ice is starting to collect under my tires....
As the 18 wheeler next to me started sliding towards me, I this scene started looping over and over in my head. I imagined the semi slamming into my car with enough force to toss me over the edge and into the icy waters of the toxic Willamette River below. What freaked me out the most about this is that my dogs were in the car. I was trying to figure out how I was going to get them both out of the water and realized that if I fell in, I'd probably pass out from shock before I could make any decisions. I began hyperventilating and sweating profusely while trying to continue to inch toward the apex of the icy bridge. I could feel a full on panic attack happening and I didn't know how to stop it. My hands and head felt tingly and I couldn't feel my lips or fingers anymore. I felt like I was going to pass out and this made me panic even more. I rolled down the drivers side window to get some air and prevent being sealed in my car if we plummeted into the freezing water below. I didn't even notice the ice and snow that was getting into the car; I was still sweating bullets and trying as hard as I could to take deep, even breaths. I tried to call about 10 people but it was one of those frustrating times when no one was answering their phone. My head became lighter and more tingly and I could feel my tunnel vision taking hold of my line of sight. Finally Erin answered her phone and talked me through it and I got over the bridge and off the exit ramp safely.
I've never, ever had a panic attack like that before, it was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. The other horrible part is that I really, REALLY wanted a cigarette and actually found some in my pocket but I didn't smoke them even though I knew that it would only take one or two hits of nicotine to calm my panicky feelings. Wait, maybe the fact that I didn't smoke is the best part of this whole story. God, I miss smoking.
Now, I'm completely emotionally drained and want nothing more than to crawl into my bed and sleep. But that means I'd have to drive home first. ugh.

1 comment:

Carrot said...

OH GOD! TERRIBLE! SO GLAD YOU DIDN'T GO PLUMMETING INTO THE WILLAMETTE! OR SMOKE!